Is the event processing re-entrant?

A forum for discussions about the C++ state machine framework yasmine.
In this forum you can ask questions about how something works, post your programming problems, file bug reports, request features, get information about licensing, ...
Ein Forum für Diskussionen über das C++ State Machine-Framework yasmine.
In diesem Forum kannst Du Fragen stellen, wenn Du wissen willst, wie etwas funktioniert, Du kannst Deine Programmierprobleme posten, Bugs melden, Features anfrangen, Fragen zur Lizenzierung stellen, ...
kamrann
Great Britain

Is the event processing re-entrant?

Postby kamrann » 23 Jan 2017, 11:27

I often find that within a behavior handler I need to fire off a new event, to be handled by some other part of my state machine (which is constructed from multiple encapsulated submachine classes, which I reuse).
Currently I simply store a reference to the top level state machine within my submachine class, and call fire_event as needed. I've not run into any issues from doing this so far, but I wonder if it's supported? Sometimes I noticed some slightly unexpected ordering in the log output, which I am guessing may imply doing this results in recursive processing.

If this approach goes against intended UML statechart use and I should be going about things differently, I'd be interested to know.

One reference that may be of relevance - I believe boost:statechart makes use of an event queue which can be posted to from within a handler, and the processing mechanism simply repeats until the queue is empty, thereby avoiding any recursion.

Wolfgang Petroschka
Germany

Re: Is the event processing re-entrant?

Postby Wolfgang Petroschka » 23 Jan 2017, 14:50

kamrann wrote:I often find that within a behavior handler I need to fire off a new event, to be handled by some other part of my state machine (which is constructed from multiple encapsulated submachine classes, which I reuse).
Currently I simply store a reference to the top level state machine within my submachine class, and call fire_event as needed. I've not run into any issues from doing this so far, but I wonder if it's supported? Sometimes I noticed some slightly unexpected ordering in the log output, which I am guessing may imply doing this results in recursive processing.

It is currently supported for async_state_machines, but it is not supported for state_machines (the sync single threaded versions). The reason is that the async_state_machine uses a queue for events internally. These events are processed one by one in a dedicated thread. The state_machine on the other hand processes events directly. Thus firing an event inside another event handler causes a recursive call which can break stuff (e.g. when doing so in a enter behavior).

kamrann wrote:If this approach goes against intended UML statechart use and I should be going about things differently, I'd be interested to know.

No, it does not AFAIK and the limitation on the state_machine is, well, ugly. We will provide a fix for the in the next version of libyasmine.

kamrann wrote:One reference that may be of relevance - I believe boost:statechart makes use of an event queue which can be posted to from within a handler, and the processing mechanism simply repeats until the queue is empty, thereby avoiding any recursion.

I like the idea of having an interface available which you can use to fire events (safely) from within your handlers. It also will remove the burden of having to pass the state machine into your states or transitions. We'll add this together with the fix.

kamrann
Great Britain

Postby kamrann » 20 Feb 2017, 07:40

Wolfgang Petroschka wrote:I like the idea of having an interface available which you can use to fire events (safely) from within your handlers. It also will remove the burden of having to pass the state machine into your states or transitions. We'll add this together with the fix.

Yep, passing around a state machine pointer felt somewhat hacky but I found it necessary for what I needed to do. It would be great if that was no longer needed.

Wolfgang Petroschka
Germany

Postby Wolfgang Petroschka » 24 Feb 2017, 09:55

The feature will be part of the yasmine release 1.1.0 which is going to be available in the next couple of days!

Tibor Molnar
Germany

Postby Tibor Molnar » 06 Mar 2017, 14:34

yasmine 1.1.0 was published today ( March 06, 2017) and contains the feature to fire events from a state or transition. An example of 'how to' can be found in the Event collector example.

Return to “yasmine”